Is There A Tax Credit for New Roofs - Image 1

Is There A Tax Credit For Roofs?

The tax credit for roofs is in effect through December 31, 2016.

How much:

10% of the cost (not including installation costs), up to $500.


Must be installed on your "principal residence" between January 1, 2011 and December 31, 2016.


"Metal roofs with appropriate pigmented coatings" and "asphalt roofs with appropriate cooling granules" that also meet ENERGY STAR requirements are eligible.

Roof coatings are NOT eligible for the tax credit.

The roofs that are eligible are "reflective roofs."  Reflective roofs are not for everyone.  They will provide the most benefit in hot sunny climates where you are using your air conditioning a lot.  If your house is already shaded and the roof is not exposed to much sun, then a reflective roof may not provide a significant benefit.  The benefits will also be lessened if your attic space is well insulated.

New construction and rentals do not apply.

Find qualified models:

Unfortunately, a simple list of all roofs that qualify for the tax credit does not exist.  There are many metal and asphalt (either shingles or "Modified Bitumen") roofs listed on the Energy Star certified product list.  EPA can not confirm that these Energy Star certified roofs are eligible for the tax credit.  Check with the manufacturer, and ask them to provide a Manufacturer's Certification Statement.

If you want to look at the Energy Star certified roof list, look in the "Product Type" column for:

Metal roofs will have a Type = "Metal"

  • "Shingle" which are typically used on sloped residential roofs.
  • "Modified Bitumen" which is a rolled roof product generally used on flat roofs.

How to apply:

File Tax Form 5695 with your tax return.

You must have a Manufacturer's Certification Statement to qualify.

The law specifies:  Any metal roof or asphalt roof installed on a dwelling unit, but only if such roof has appropriate pigmented coatings or cooling granules which are specifically and primarily designed to reduce the heat gain of such dwelling unit.

You may wish to consult with your professional tax preparer for more details regarding the federal tax credit guidelines and how to apply.